It’s not uncommon for portable air conditioners to stop cooling at some point. There are a few reasons why this might happen, so it’s essential to identify the cause before taking any steps to fix the problem.
What Causes Portable Ac to Not Cool?
Plenty of different problems can cause your Blast Auxiliary Portable AC to stop cooling. Some of the most common causes include:
1. Leak in the Refrigerant Line:
If there is a leak in the refrigerant line, it can mean that your unit is low on R410A gas. In this case, your air conditioner will stop working until you have fixed the problem. A professional should be able to locate and fix any leaks that are hampering your unit’s performance.
2. Electrical Malfunctioning:
If you notice that your air conditioner has stopped cooling, it might be due to an electrical malfunction. If this is the case, turn off the power and wait to defrost before restarting the unit. It might take up to an hour or two for the water on the coil to evaporate.
3. Condenser Coil Has Iced Over:
Another common reason why portable air conditioners are not cooling is that the condenser coil has iced over. To fix this, turn off the unit and wait for the ice to thaw before turning it on again. It can take up to an hour or two for the water on the coil to evaporate.
4. Compressor In Your Ac Has Stopped Working:
A much less common reason for a unit not to cool is that the compressor has stopped working. If this is the case, you’ll need to replace or repair it before using your appliance again.
5. Filter Is Dirty:
A dirty air filter can also cause your portable air conditioner to stop cooling. To fix this, you’ll need to clean or replace the filter before restarting the unit. If it continues to produce warm air, you might need to check for blockages in the condenser and exhaust tubing as well.
6. Unit Is In Defrosting Mode:
If you notice that the unit is emitting cold air, but only for a short time, it might be in defrost mode. It is usual to automatically restart after the coil has evaporated the moisture on it (this can take up to two hours). You’ll need to wait patiently before using your unit again.
How to Fix a Portable Ac That is Not Cooling?
There are a few different things that you can do to fix a unit that isn’t cooling. Some of the most common options include:
1. Turn off the power supply to your unit and wait for the condenser coil to defrost before turning it on again.
2. Clean or replace the air filter; you might also need to check for blockages in the condenser tubing if there is no improvement after replacing or cleaning the filter.
3. If there’s ice on the condenser coil, wait for it to thaw before restarting your unit.
4. Replace or repair a compressor that stops working due to an electrical malfunction.
5. Ensure that you’ve correctly leveled your unit and nothing is pressing down on the exhaust tube.
By reading this article, I hope that you now know what to do if your portable air conditioning unit is not cooling the air. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to comment below or contact me through email.